Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Interesting Retro Radio Live Stream

This past summer, while travelling in Missouri, I discovered this radio station on the FM dial:

KRLI 103.9

It was discovered on an idyllic country-road drive between Sedalia and Jefferson City, where we were visiting relatives. It has live streaming, so check it out.

It's not rockabilly or straight 1940's/1950's - although it has elements of that at times. Rather, it's a little bit of everything that's just, well, old. Some of it is Mad Men-ish, some of it is elevator-ish, some of it is Peggy Lee-ish. As I write this, Nat King Cole is playing. And there was a funny song before that called "Jambalaya," that sounded like it came right out of a late 1950's film dance number.

We made the drive on the Fourth of July, and I remember enjoying a program where they played a bunch of-old time patriotic songs, including a few with singing. Some of it was admittedly corny, but at the same time, I thought to myself, "Here is a station preserving music that is disappearing from the landscape."

Kind of like all the junk I collect and sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment